Friday, February 24, 2017

To dye for!



Have you ever tried something that should be easy?...I mean like REALLY easy?!?  So easy that you think there is no way you can ** it up??  Well, let me share with you a story from this morning.

My quest was to dye my hair.  I've heard of my friends doing it for years and it sounded sooo simple! In years gone past I was one of 'those' women that went to the hair salon and paid upwards of $200.00 (God, I hope Gary does not read this!) to get my hair professionally dyed, cut and styled.  And, I wasn't paying as much as some of my friends if you can imagine!

So, just prior to moving from the city into the country I went to Sally and bought a bunch of hair colors and 'equipment' to ease me through the process.  I spent time asking the gal that worked there how to do it etc.  She assured me it would be simple.  Hmmmm.  This was my morning fiasco!

Garrison went off to school, Gary was out in the shop and I had a quiet morning planned doing what I call House Mouse stuff.  Routine, clean up, make beds, tidy from breakfast etc.  I gathered my supplies which consisted of: dye, solution, bowl, a brush thingy, an old towel, a fastener and a grocery bag. I was proud.  Had all the supplies and got ready to dig in.

First, I laid my towel down on the new counter.  Got out the bowl and blobbed some of the dye in the bowl (no directions given as to how much so I guessed) added about double of the solution.  I peered into the bowl and gave a shrug (that should be enough...right?!?) and stirred.  That should have been my first clue of disaster.  The shrug.  That shrug should have been the BIG warning sign that I had NO idea what I was doing!

I parted my hair like the hair dresser did so many times (she made it look easy by the way!) and started in the middle.  As I raised my first brush full to my head...blop...it went on my shirt.  FACK! Oh man...of course, it had to land on my shirt and NOT on the towl around my shoulders.  I'll never get that poop looking blob off my jammie top.  Crap...well, keep on going was my thought.  So, I did it again and did a fairly good job around the crown of my head.  But, then came the rest of the hair. And, I have alot of freaking hair!  At that point, I'm peering into my bowl and realize I don't have enough mixture so I mix another batch.  I drop the solution and it goes all over the floor...are you freaking kidding me!  It sailed all the way across the room onto the shower doors!  Aggghhh!   I'm on all fours mopping up this complete disaster when Gary calls me from the other side of the house.  

I quickly walk towards his voice as I don't want him to know of the catastrophe I've created in OUR NEW BATHROOM!  Just before I get to the back door, he says "What are you doing?"  I'm just about to the doorway and say "I'm dying my hair"  Sounding all light and assured of myself.  I get around the corner and his exact words were "Sweet Jesus!"  Picture this.  The front of my head caked in wet dye.  The rest of my hair is in a matted mess. I have what looks like a skidder running down the front of my shirt...nice, eh!...aren't I a beautiful bride :)  He says "Never mind" and closes the door.  Quickly I might add!

So, I go running back to the bathroom all the while chastising myself for being so clumbsy...calculating how exactly I'm going to clean up the mess as quickly as possible, praying that it will in fact it does clean up.  Thank God it did!  So, I get back to the rest of my head.  Oh ya.  Back to that crazy amount of hair that I have.  And, I  need to figure out how exactly to get dye on it and keep it on the top of my head.  Again, something not so easy to do by oneself!  Every time I'd go to take a strip of hair and put it on the top of my head, it would roll backwards. Ugh.  Okay, so I employed both hands and a ton of bobby pins.  Messy, but it did the trick.  My hair all has dye on it and now time for the bag.  Note to those that are doing this...ensure that all the tags are out of the bag prior to putting it on your head. Whoops, my bad.

So, I waited the half hour required and pulled the bag off my head.  Amazingly I still had hair, the hair was the color it was supposed to be and now I'm in search of my therapist's phone number to talk through the whole mess...lol.

My skidder! :0(


My final suggestion...go to the salon...it's alot less stressful! :)


Kim

PS...please like our new Facebook page (The Rusty Pitchfork) and I will put your name in the draw for a free Happy Feet kit!  Draw to be March 31st!














2 comments:

  1. OMG Kim, that's hilarious. Trust me girlfriend, it gets easier each time you do it. I can totally relate tho, I just highlighted my hair & it's been a couple of years since previous procedure ... got more blonde than I wanted, but all in all turned out quite nice. It's easier if you just buy the package as all the ingredients are in proportion, no guess work required. Good luck if you decide to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this to Diana as we drive home...we're lucky we didn't crash. I blame Sally for no instrucions. Poor Gary.

    ReplyDelete