Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Lumpy Lepper

I've been asked to start blogging again...and with our reno's and move-in pretty much complete...I can do just that!

 

My blog tonight is about making homstead creations.  I make everything from curtains to bread to homemade soaps, candles and lotions etc.  Friends like Corrina Knoll and Cherylee McKinney will understand that sometimes we have successes but more than likely...many flops, but heh, we keep on keeping on! ;)

When you live in the country it's not easy to just run to the store to buy "X".  Sometimes, in more rural communities like where we live in Fraser Lake, THERE ARE NO "chain" STORES...I know...shocker isn't it?!?  This is one thing that I have had a wee bit of a hard time getting used to. But, it makes a person more resourceful in the end!

My funny story for the night revolves around me wanting to have a bath.  I had visions of a hot, gorgeous tub of water with bubbles, candelight and a face mask soaking on my skin.  But then I remembered...I have no mask.  Bummer. :(  Oh!  I can make one.  Right?!?...so I got on Pinterest (which is one of my favorite things to do now Kathleen Boland) and found a receipe for a homemade oatmeal facial mask.  And SCORE...I had all the ingredients!

This recipe called for Oatmeal (which I use Gluten Free and have it already ground and in the cupboard), Olive Oil, Honey and half a Banana.  I used a fork to mash the banana and then added about 1/2 cup of the Oatmeal, 2 TBSP of the Olive Oil, about 3 TBSP Honey.  I then added about 2 TSP of Vitamin E Oil and about 4 drops of Doterra Lemon Essential Oil.  I stirred it together and then set off towards the bathroom.

On my way I bent down to give my darling Hubby a kiss on the cheek as he was watching the Superbowl and not really paying any attention to me.  He half heartedly looked into my bowl and sniffed at it and asked "Oh!...is that my dessert?!?".  "Ahhhh..no...It's my face mask".  The look on his face was priceless.  I'm pretty sure he thought I was bat shit crazy.

So, off I treck with my concotion in hand with sweet anticipation of how lovely this 'bath date' was going to go.  Bubbles, check.  Candles, check.  Magazine, check.  Facial Cleanser, check.  I climb into the hot tub of water (no, this isn't a 50 Shades of Grey version!), clean my face and then scoop up a generous dollop of loveliness and smear it on my face.  Well, the first 5 seconds were grand.  But after that the stuff started to slide down my face and plop onto my chest.  Hmmm...this isn't going as planned! :0  So, I decided that if I slid down into the water just a tad and arch my head back against the tub that would make my face level with the ground and it would stay put.  That was great idea until I hit the back of my head against the tub.  Ouch!  And, then within minutes it began to look like someone had pooped in the tub! OMG!  Little blobs of oatmeal poop were surrounding me!  Ummm...this isn't as peaceful as I thought it would be!

Not giving in, I scooped up what was left in the bowl and slathered it across my forehead thinking it would eventually slide down to my chin where some of it was supposed to be anyways.  I adjusted some of the mass around my forehead, eyes, cheeks and chin thinking in my head I must look like a woman at the spa...that's what I feel like as it smells sooo good!  ( I paid $100 once to have an oatmeal facial and this felt the same...sort of).  Well, I peeked in the small mirror I had on my bath board and OMG!  I looked nothing like I had envisioned...I looked like a lepper...with LUMPS!  Half my face was where it was supposed to be, the other was very gooey and drippy...I scared myself so badly that I turned over the mirror and decided not to do that again!

I thought that perhaps I should try and take my mind off my slithering face and tried to read my magazine, but every time I went to turn the page more lumps would plop into the water or on my chest. Blech.

I guess if I was stranded on an island and was truly hungry, I could have eaten the mixture as it was made from all natural ingredients and it could be like eating unbaked apple betty, except with bananas.  But of course I would have to get over the fact that it looked like poop.  That was it...I was out.

I made it about 15 minutes and gingerly tip toed over to the shower for a rinse.  The good thing is after getting all clean, it really made my skin very soft.  And...I'm not a lepper after all!

My moral of the story is to keep trying different things...sometimes they just might work.  Or sometimes you might have to tweak them.  Oh ya right...I forgot.  The expensive facial mask was draped in a muslin cloth before it went on my face...I'll do that next time! :)

Have a great Sunday!

Kim

PS...I will be blogging soon about my horse round up foibles, clumbsy mounting skills and a bunch of other funny winter stories ...so keep checking back !











No comments:

Post a Comment